Pages

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Justice(Deck of Lies #1) by Jade Varden

Description: A House of Cards...

When you build an entire life on a foundation of lies, it only takes one truth for the whole thing to come crashing down. I never invited the truth in. I never went searching for it. I never had any reason to suspect that the two people I loved most were dishonest with me every second of every day.

I made one bad decision, and in a single day my entire world changed. If I'm ever going to discover the truth about myself and my parents, I have to trace all the lies back to their source. I have to try to find the truth that they're hiding.

The more I discover about myself, and my past, the more I realize that lies really are better than the truth. But now that I know the lies are all around me, I can't stop until I've discovered them all. I'll pull each lie away, one by one, and examine it to see what's underneath…until this house of cards crumbles into dust at my feet.

I just hope I can survive the crash.
                                                                                       ~From Goodreads.com

Review: I have been asked to write a review on this book by the author, Jade Varden, but my review will still be truly honest about my thoughts on the book.
      To start off, I fell in love with this book. It pulled me in very quickly, and I did not want to put it down. I had finished it in less than a day. I like how the title is introduced in the first chapter, but it's still carried throughout the book(although not as obviously). There definitely is quite a bit of foreshadowing in this book, yet it is still vague, which I greatly enjoy; it kept me wondering about what it all meant.
     There are many unexpected twists that kept it very interesting, but still realistic.
      It is easy to identify with the main character, Rain Ramey; she has depth and is not two-dimensional as some authors portray their characters as. The "mean girl" who opposes Rain is evident early on, and it is not hard to despise her right away. Each character is developed so nicely, I could picture them in my head, even the way I thought their voices might sound as they speak.
     Another thing I loved about this book was that there were many philosophical ideas sewn into the plot. For example, the theories about "Nature vs. Nurture" are questioned(although not by that title). I do not want to say much more about it because I do not want to spoil the twists in the plot.
     The ending of this book is very gripping, and left me wanting more. I most certainly want to read the second and third books in the Deck of Lies series, as soon as I can. The only problem I had with this book were a few editing errors, but the book itself was so great that I looked past it(which is hard for me to do, as I am going to school to become a copy editor, so this truly shows how much I enjoyed it!). Varden's writing style is unique from other YA authors I have read, which is a good thing. Yes, there are many great YA authors out there, but Varden's style stands out to me in a good way.
     I would like to thank Jade Varden greatly for asking me to read and review her book, and for sending me an e-copy. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and I would love for this author's work to be much more well-known! You can purchase the book here: http://www.amazon.com/Justice-Deck-Lies-1-ebook/dp/B006PW51F6. I recommend this book to anyone who loves a well-written, fast-paced YA read.

No comments:

Post a Comment