Pages

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

My Name is Memory

     I really loved this book. Ann Brashares did an amazing job writing this. She is also the author of the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants books.
     Daniel is a man who has an amazing memory. So amazing, in fact, that he can remember all of his past lives. And one component is the same in every one: Sophia.
     Sophia is the one he has always loved, and always lost. He spends each life searching for her, hoping that this will be the life he finds her and gets to be with her. Of course, their bodies are always different, but their souls never change. Daniel could recognize Sophia's soul from anyones.
     The book switches between descriptions of Daniel's past lives(and his memories of Sophia) and the present time(in the 21st century). Don't think that the switching is confusing, it isn't. At the beginning of each chapter is the place and year, so it is easy to keep track of the history and what is going on. It is written beautifully.
     The one problem I did have with this book was the ending. I won't give anything away, but it was very sudden, as if the last chapter or two was left out. There are some rumors online about this book being the first in a trilogy, but I'm not sure if this is true or not. So far, there is no sequel. I am hoping for one to be written and published, but I'm not holding my breath.
     I would recommend this book to anyone who loves a good love story and/or history.

No comments:

Post a Comment